Thursday, December 04, 2014

How an artist's brush is made

One thing leads to another - and after hearing about the Da Vinci 1287 yesterday I had a jolly good look around their website. Which is how I came to find this fascinating video by Da Vinci Artist Brushes about how they make their brushes.

I loved seeing what their hair looks like when it arrives and how they process it before they then start making it into brushes. Who knew it was gum arabic which creates that coating on the brush to preserve its shape until it reaches its owner?




More facts

In case you think it odd I'm highlighting Da Vinci, after viewing the video I went looking on the websites of other brushmakers for similar videos about they made their brushes and more information about brushmaking but didn't find anything as comprehensive as this website.

  • The new Winsor and Newton website seems to be dumbed down compared to its predecessor which I liked a lot.  
  • Rosemary Brushes are brilliant in their descriptions in relation to individual brushes but say nothing about the process.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you! A wonderful example of german skill and efficiency! I do hope they( almost all women!) get paid according to their great skill !
    A pity that W&N do not have a similar video. Are their brushes perhaps made in China, by workers who are equally skilled as the Da Vinci ones but with less agreable working conditions? I heard somewhere that the W&N paint is now made in China, and I thought it might be the same for brushes. But that may be a false rumor!I really would liketo know, för as much as the quality of a product is important, so is the working conditions for those who produce the product! At least now I can buy Da Vinci brushes with a good consience;-)!( unless one starts to think about the poor weasels...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told by a chap at Green & Stone that the W&N paint is now all made in the old LeFranc & Bourgeois plant in France.

    Nothing so far as I aware is made in the UK

    Very, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting that. I love Da Vinci brushes and was immediately struck by the excellent working conditions and quality design. Feels good to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to know where our materials come from.
    On another tack slightly did you see the irrepressible Ruth Goodman in Secrets of the Castle on TV the other night making a medieval paint brush from badgers hair and the shaft of a feather? ( the badger was road kill) I don't know about the bird!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.