Monday, May 27, 2013

California Art Club - 102nd Annual Gold Medal Exhibition

Flyer for the 102nd Annual Gold Medal Juried Exhibition
of the California Art Club
I love it when art societies put their exhibitions online!  That's not to say there's no scope for improvement.

This is the virtual exhibition of the 102nd Annual Gold Medal Exhibition of the California Art Club.  This can be seen in person at the USC Fisher Museum of Art at the University of Southern California 823 Exposition Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA between 2nd and 23rd June 2013.

The Club’s Annual Gold Medal Juried Exhibitions are considered to be one of the country’s premier exhibitions of contemporary-traditional fine art.  They include both paintings and sculpture.

To start with I thought there was no slideshow - you have to open and close each painting individually - which means thumbnails rule when it comes to which ones get opened!

Then I realised that to view the slideshow, I needed to click this link and then right click the > at the top right of every image

Artwork which I particularly liked included:
Some of the paintings in the
102nd Annual Gold Medal Exhibition
 of the
California Art Club
You can also view previous annual gold medal exhibitions online

Note:  I'm going to be doing shorter posts for a while. I'm finding 19 drops per day post cataract surgery a bit of a challenge!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Katherine - enjoyed looking at the work - I liked the Point Lobos pictures as well - it seems to be a much favoured subject.

    Good luck with everything and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point Lobos is an absolutely wonderful place - it's still extremely vivid in my memory and mind's eye.

    See my blog post Friday 28th July: "The greatest meeting of land and water in the world" on my 'Travels with a Sketchbook' blog about my visit back in July 2006. I stayed in Monterey and it's easy to reach from there or Carmel.

    Mind you, there's not a huge amount of parking so best to go mid-week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through the whole show. Lots of really great paintings, and diverse in subject and styles, many names I recognize.
    I am going to join. Thanks Katherine for the post.

    Your Point Lobos colored pencil is so energetic and rhythmic. Makes me wonder how much of your work since then has been affected by your eye condition and how much is attributed to changes (in style and technique etc) over the years all artists experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The main change has just been to stop doing a lot of 'proper artwork' because I was getting so unhappy about the difference between what I wanted it to be and what it looked like. A lot of it was down to not being able to see colour and tone properly.

    So I've just stuck to sketching - with the sketches getting smaller and smaller - for the last two years.

    This has been the first year I've not exhibited anywhere in a long while - and that's because the deterioration in the last 12 months or so has been so marked.

    Now, of course I am on the upswing!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.